Hailing all Mintermites!
What's up? I will support a few independent projects; these can either be individual or group efforts.
How do I get in on this? Your proposal must pass muster at two levels.
- Miniterm committee project requirements must be met. This means you must have a specific statement of purpose and a daily timeline for what you are attempting to accomplish. You should find those guidelines and learn about them. The form for this will open on 23 October. The deadline for submission is 12 November. Do not miss it.
- On top of school requirements, my requirements must be met. You need
to inquire in advance if you want me as a sponsor for your project. Once I
approve your proposal, you will enter it into the form and it will be
referred to the Miniterm Committee. Your proposed project must exhibit
- This project should be a programming-intensive experience. Your product should be a usable program that you can document.
- Projects can also incorporate significant mathematical content. Remember, I am am mathematician.
- The project should have strong academic merit. You need to tell why in your proposal. This will help you with the miniterm committee and with my selection process.
- You need to be explicit about software you will need. I prefer that you work in the OSS world so that stuff is freely available.
- As part of your proposal, you will submit a document called
yourUserName.html, which will be a web page describing your project. It will be posted on this publicly visible page, so its appearance and language should be of professional quality.
Attention Gadgeteers! Larry Myers is also supporting independent projects; there are some possibilities for us jointly supporting a project with both engineering and computing components.
Here are some examples of ideas I deem to be foundations for good projects. You are not limited to these; they are just suggestions.
- Learn how to use PyGame and create a graphical game with it.
- Learn how to configure and program with PyQt5 and create GUI apps with it.
- Create a GUI using FXML in JavaFX and master the user of FXML.
- Visualize geographic data using the SciPy stack.
- Learn Angular or React and create web apps with it.
Terms and Conditions
I will request a room as a meeting place. You need to be present for the morning (9:00A - 11:30P) and afternoon (1P-4P) sessions. I think it's important for groups to see each other and to exchange ideas. I expect you to be able to work without a ton of supervision. Each group needs to meet with me once during each day to tell me what they are doing.
You wil produce a website for your project as a part of sharing. You can
do this in a folder named
yourUserName.html, and you
should have an index page in it. This will be uploaded to this directory
and will be publicly visible.