This can be seen by going to the contact/schedule menu at the top of this page.
The Big 5
You are in here because you took introductory programming or via placement. We expect you to be familar with the following.
- Containers: You should have seen some form of array or list hat allows you to store related objects under a single name.
- Types: You should that objects have type, and be familiar with the idea that, "Data come in species." You have probably seen number types (integers, floating-point), strings, and booleans.
- Variables: You should know about identifiers and using them to refer to objects.
- Fuctions and Methods: These remember procedures under a name.
Methods are bound to objects and can depend on object state. Remember,
state is what an object knows. F'rinsance, a string knows its character
sequence. Example from
let x = "caterwaul"; console.log(x.toUpperCase());puts
CATERWAULto the console.
- Conditional Logic:
else. Programs "make decisions" based upon their state.
- Iteration: This is the business of repetition in programs.
Get your Lappy Ready
If you are enrolled in this class, you got an email telling you of the existence of this page. You will use the following software items in this class. All are freely available.
- If you use Windoze, obtain PuTTy, a terminal emulator. If you are Mac or Linux, no action is required on this item.
- FileZilla will enable you to transfer files back and forth between your lappy and the departmental server. It works for Mac, Linux, and Windoze, and its interface is butt-simple. A smart thing to do is to use this to back up your programming files to the server.
- You might like to have a plain-text editor. Both Atom and VSCode are great choices. These are handy for coding on your local machine.
- Notepad++ is great for Windoze users.
- Mac and Linux users are welcome to use
vim. For mac users, I recommend you have this in your
syntax on set et set tabstop=4 set shiftwidth=4 set nohlsearch set backspace=indent,eol,startType this exactly as shown. The vi editor has a sharp learning curve, but once you become a vi ninja, it's blazingly fast.
- A lot of Linux users swear by gedit, which is present in the default install. You can also get gedit for Windoze and Mac. It has tons of plugins that give it all sorts of great capabilities.
Your class website On the left, you will see directories
the various months. These will contain the course calendars.
basicStuff.php linked at the left
will answer your most basic questions about this class.
The specs directory will contain specifications for all major projects.
Materials may also be present on our internal server
cs.ncssm.edu. You will get an account on this server
and you will learn how to interact with its command-line interface.
You will be asked to post certain assignments and projects there.
This course will be on canvas as well. Canvas will be used for reading quizzes, and it provides a portal for you to upload programming assignments. All grades are entered into the canvas gradebook.