Here I shall link some favorite Universities. First, I shall list some of the best state school honors programs. These programs can afford the student a top-notch education at a very reasonable price. At the same time, the best of them offer the student small classes and lots of interaction with the faculty. Then I shall link some other universities with excellent undergraduate programs. Finally, I shall links some schools with special programs that might interest select student. While this last list of schools may have programs of special interest, I am not necessarily recommending other programs at these schools.
State School Honors Programs
These schools have some very competitive honors programs that will cost you a bail less than the ivies. They deserve some attention.
- Indiana University in Bloomington, IN is the home of great programs in the humanities and pure sciences. It also has a very well respected program in Computer Science, a top business school with a 5 year honors MBA program, strong programs in geology and foreign languages, and a world-famous school of music. For the student seriously interested in music, IU offers a conservatory of music attached to a great university. Indiana offers an excellent education at a very modest price. Bias warning again! I attended Indiana and earned my A. B. in mathematics. Many of the professors in that department took a real interest in undergraduates. Bloomington is a beautiful college town and the cost is very reasonable.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI has an extremely well organized honors program for undergraduates. The city of Ann Arbor is one of the finest college towns anywhere. While the university is big and imposing, the honors program provides a nurturing home base on the campus of a great university. Of special interest is the Interflex premedical program. Be advised that getting into interflex is extremely difficult, especially for out-of-state students. Take note that Michigan's out-of-state tuition is quite steep. Ann Arbor has a cold winter; dress properly and this will be no problem. It is beautiful if you are lucky enough to stay the summer.
- The University of Texas in Austin, TX runs an excellent honors program called Plan II. This program gives the student access to small classes with some of UT's best professors. The Computer Science program also has the Turing Scholars Program. This program offers direct admission to the Computer Science Program as well as special access to small classes. Also, there is special honors housing. You will need to apply separately for this arrangement. Austin, like Ann Arbor, is a great college town. However, Austin has short, mild winters and UT's tuition is very reasonable. This program is a real gem! Bias warning: I got my Ph. D. in Mathematics UT. I spent six very enjoyable years in Austin. The weather is sunny and nice, but the winters can be very changeable. The summer is quite hot. Austin offers endless appeal to the college students; it is one of America's hippest small cities.
- The University of Virginia has excellent honors programs and excellent overall academic strength. One program deserving special attention is the School of Architecture. Those in the know are aware that UVA was founded by Thomas Jefferson. It the first institution in the world not founded by a religious order or royalty.
Here is a list of schools whose undergraduate programs I respect and like.
- Caltech is one of the premier places to go to study science, math or engineering. If you are lucky enough to get in, go.
- The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art offers every student a full-tuition scholarship in a first-rank academic program. The Cooper Union offers programs in Art, Architecture and Engineering. Admission is highly competitive and its academic programs are absolutely first rate. The Cooper Union is located on Cooper Square in lower Manhattan.
- Rice University in Houston, TX sits on a beautiful campus just a short distance from downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center. Houston's climate is hot and sticky, so this is not the best college for the dedicated snowbird. However, those who come will find excellent offerings in the sciences and engineering along with fine humanities programs.
Schools with Programs of Special Interest
Here are some schools with special programs that will interest special students. These programs are known nationally for their academic merit and educational quality. The links go directly to the featured program.
- The SUNY College at Potsdam offers a tremendous undergraduate mathematics program. This program is especially noted for the devotion of its faculty to teaching!
- The University of Delaware offers a premier program in Chemical Engineering. This is a top program that is academically rigorous; admission is extremely competitive.